Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Entrepreneurship Or What do I Know About Anything Anyways

Entrepreneurship

To become a successful entrepreneur it is imperative that one adhere to the following rules....

Okay, I'm just joking about that. If there were a set of rules to follow to become a successful entrepreneur than every body would be one. Who wouldn't want to be the guy in charge?

So what does it take to run a successful business? In the end, I really couldn't say. I've never run a "successful" business. However, in my own defense, I have run some nearly successful businesses which I believe were limited only by my own lack of stick-to-it-iveness. In the end I think that this may be the real key to any successful business: sticking to it, and always remaining optimistic.

A Short History of My Entrepreneurial Career

My very first business ever was a lawn mowing business named, "The Lawn Boys". My friend down the street had a riding lawn mower. My father had the desire to get me out of the house for the summer (and for me to become financially independent at 13). And last I had the desire make a little money to buy a sweet new guitar! At our peek we pulled in 50 dollars a week! Alas in the end, neither my buddy nor I could get psyched about lawn mowing....and we eventually threw in the towel.

My second business was a band aptly named Theology. Being a rock and roll musician required much dedication to practicing, getting gigs, and songwriting. My good friend Will and I were dedicated to all three. But unfortunately it became increasingly hard to find a solid and reliable bass player and 2nd guitarist. Soon rock and roll lost out to college study. We did however produce a very solid and nice sounding album on an old computer and a super cheap sound card.

Near the end of college I started another business with my good friend Will. This time we used our brains instead of our ears to make money. We started a small IT business to build websites and construct networks for small businesses. Things were going well, but unfortunately I moved to Colorado to learn about very advanced topics in Mathematics.

My last business was about to get off the ground and rolling, when my good friend and business partner Ray moved back to China. It's still possible for us to do some business, especially as the developed countries turn to the underdeveloped countries for outsourcing. We still exchange emails and ideas every now and then. It may take a while, but I think Ray and I will eventually be able to pull off a transcontinental business.

Currently, like a crouched tiger, I am waiting for the next opportunity to present itself. There are many possibilities, but few real opportunities. And so I'm waiting, thinking, and of course....blogging!

Though there is much to be said about starting a successful business, I have more questions than answers. But that is one of the main reasons I have decided to blog. Perhaps writing my ideas and questions out will bring constructive criticism and also clarify and sharpen my vision. Who knows? Perhaps the next business I start will be less of a warm-up/practice run and more of a multinational conglomerate! :-)

2 comments:

Nathan said...

A band called Theology, now that is funny.

As for entrepreneurship, being able to spell the word is the first step in becoming an entrepreneur. The second step is to fail at it. It seems that the experiences you wrote about taught you some important lessons. Like finding a business you had passion for since you need passion when the going gets rough or you need motivation.

Experience is also a big key. All the successful entrepreneurs I know have experience in the area they are going into, or are able to find and hire good people with the experience they need. Things like business experience are invaluable. How to do the accounting, how and when to hire employees, where to find them. Those are all valuable things that are sometimes hard to get from a book.

Mentors. They can be a huge help in that they have the experience that you don't and can help you through some of the stumbling blocks that they have already experienced.

Starting your own business is one of the most rewarding and also challenging things you can do. Best of luck in your search for a business. There is money to be made in this rapidly changing economy.

Theo V. said...

Thanks Nathan. Wonderful advice!