Tuesday, May 29, 2007

This weekend at the Barbecue

This weekend at the Barbecue

I love grilling meat. There's just something very satisfying about meat cooked over an open flame. Perhaps it is my Texan nature. Perhaps it just tastes good.

Whatever the reason, Malia and I ate grilled food twice this weekend...and it sure was good!

On Sunday we had some nice barbecued chicken and grilled asparagus. Grilled asparagus is one of those surprising foods. You never really think it's going to be that good, but it always sort of is. It's not really mind-blowingly good, but just good enough for you to say..."Hmm...that's pretty decent." Furthermore, I think eating asparagus makes you feel morally good, and like a responsible adult. I always think that I'm staving off cancer by eating things like asparagus, broccoli and artichokes.

On Monday, my lovely wife and I decided to have a Memorial day celebration with as many friends that I could think to invite. I couldn't think of everyone though, and unfortunately forgot a few folks. Oh well. If you are reading this and you didn't get to come and eat flame cooked meat with us then I invite you to come over whenever you would like for some good grillin' fun!

In addition to our fare of meat and the requisite potato chips I decided to make some sweet potato fries. They ended up as sweet potato soggy chips, but they were still quite tasty. I found some spices from Chef something-or-other on sale at Albertsons which made my yam-fries quite delicious! If you are interested in making these delicious and nutritious fries just slice up a sweet potato or two, put some salt, pepper and whichever spice you like on them, put them in a baking pan with olive oil and cook them at about 375 F for 20-30 minutes. So delicious!

Fact: Sweet potatoes have more beta Carotene than carrots. Fact: Olive oil is "good for you"...therefore you can use as much of it as you want when you cook. Fact: the previous statement is probably not true.

At Malia's prompting we all played a cool game called celebrity. I wont explain all the rules but it can be played by any number of people and involves the guessing of various famous people or cartoons through word hints and acting as if you are the person or character. I failed miserably at acting out Snoopy. Our friend Barry did a find job at acting out Ronald Reagen however. And I learned from Kevin that St. Thomas Aquinas is also referred to as "The Prince of the Scholastic Philosophers".

Alas, the weekend of glorious barbecuing and fellowship came to an end. Now it's Tuesday and grilling will have to wait until next weekend when we hike into the wilderness and have a real caveman-style barbecue somewhere in the mountains!

1 comment:

Kent said...

I agree with you about the asparagus. It looks hideous, but when you have one, you actually have one of those "Hmm - not bad" moments, but then quickly move on and forget about it.

The whole yam fries thing is excellent. I mean really good. We're talking mouth-watering, foot stomping, cry out in ecstasy type good. They're really good. I actually think they should replace the standard French fry - but that's just my opinion.